EX-KIAP NETWORK FORUM

an egalitarian discussion board for ex-kiaps, former colleagues such as didiman, chalkies, polis, ko-ops, dokta and whoever else wants to join in.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:18 am 
Ex-BMS

DOSS: 01 Mar 1971
Hi all, I've just joined the Forum. I'm Greg Turner but those of you who knew me in PNG knew me as Greg Lovett. The change of surname came about through use of my adoptive Dad's surname post PNG. I commenced from a later course, arriving in PNG in 1971. I was in Nipa, Margarima, Mussau Island, Kavieng and Namatanai. I'm now living and working in Albury NSW and hope to contact some of those who knew me through the forum. Greg.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:48 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 29 Jun 1971
Hi Greg,
Nice to hear from you.
Email me on director@edoms.com.au and we can chat.
Cheers,
John

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:50 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 10 Feb 1971
Greg T.,

'Couldn't believe it when I heard that you had left New Ireland. I thought that you had taken root there.

I would have swapped you Komo for Palakau, but not Margarima.

Welcome to the Clan.

Peter T.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:50 pm 
Ex-BMS

Hi Peter, malaria (falciparum, the nasty one) took me out after trying to kill me. I've since lived and worked in the UK and returned to Australia in 1989. Hope all's well with you? Greg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:37 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 27 Feb 1961
Strewth!! Now we have two Turners to put up with! Glad to hear you are still alive Greg - I am still working in PNG and Martina and myself are now living in Cairns.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:20 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Danke lieber Gott ve don hef two Herr Webers. :lol:

He means that he is still "employed" in PNG; as for work??? :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:39 pm 
Ex-BMS

Great to hear from you Ray. Please pass my best wishes to Martina! I'm certainly well and truly alive and still working professionally and full time. I need to stay alive to meet my obligations! Greg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:39 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Felicitations Mate,

I have had the malaria horror story too.

It nearly got me in 1997. I spent 5 weeks in a coma in the Gold Coast hospital and then another 6 in rehab learning to walk again,

I was lucky, I was visiting home for new year when I fell over.

I had been gobbling anti-malarials and there must have been quite a battle going on inside, because the detritus of dead parasites, tissue etc. clogged up my kidneys, which of course ceased to function and that was that, everything else shut down, double pneumonia et al. I woke up 5 weeks later, a skeleton, with little musculature and lungs that felt like they belonged to someone else, the result of course of the ventilator that kept me breathing.

The medical angels killed the malaria bugs and then put me on a dialysis machine for a month, which eventually had the effect of 'blowing clear' the crap that had built up in my kidneys and they started working again. I was a physical wreck for a couple of years but eventually came good, thanks be to God. :D

The best way to 'catch up' would be to make your way to the Kawana Waters 'rendevous' in November. See you there?

Cheers,

Peter T.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:08 pm 
Ex-BMS

Hi Peter, I'm going to try to attend, not 100% sure yet but would like to come if I can.

Your malarial experience sounded horrible and so was mine. I lost half my body weight in the period of just 6 days. The Hospital for Tropical Diseases in London eventually cleared me up completely, but also discovered a Strongyloides parasitic worm infection and kept me in to clear that. They did, so I'm still alive today, bald and ageing, a daughter and 2 wives later, still working and thoroughly enjoying life! I came back to Australia in 1989 after living in the UK for 6 years. Life goes on....... Greg.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:24 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Hey Cousin,

Are you going to make it to the 'rendevous'.

I am sure that Martina will be there; she still does not trust Raymond as far as she can throw him!!!! :lol:

pt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:01 am 
Ex-BMS

Hi Peter, I'd love to get there, illness in my family may be a preventative issue, but working on the chance to come. It would be great to catch up with those I know. Having a quiet chuckle here about Martina's trust/distrust of Raymond! Greg.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:28 am 
Ex-Kiap

Hi Greg,

'Hope to see you.

I jest of course, Raymond is the most faithful and best of men.

Cheers,

pt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:38 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 24 Aug 1970
Hi Greg
See our friend JC was one of 9 governors not concerned enough to turn up at the recent Maritime Governors Meeting. Doesn't seem to worry about the Lihir & Simberi mines' filth going into ocean. Then read today's P Courier report of 2 million tonnes of Ok Tedi waste still being dumped on top of past 20 years one billion tonnes, into river system where the muck is now recorded as effecting OZ environment too.
The malarial bouts described on exkiap site suggest I was luckier then most despite having atleast one bout every year sometimes more. Worst was as ageing exK in 2008 when had bad go twice in month. Had the chloroquine resistant one too after 4 years in Papua that got my red blood cell count far too low when I was back on Lavongai. Peter mentions effects on his kidneys and I wonder if that is why I am apparently not functioning 100% and under review after some tests.
Mind could do with some warm NIP weather as an antidote to past wet very windy week.
Hope you can get to reunion, wish I could have joined Ves in his journey south to do so.
Greetings to all who get there.
Fraternally
arthur
Taskul and Cardiff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:51 pm 
Ex-BMS

Nice to hear your thoughts Arthur, the careless dumping of toxic waste at certain PNG mining sites sounds horribly disastrous for the environment! Weather in Wales sounds a bit typical for the time of year. I have family and friends around the UK so get regular bulletins. Days and evenings here in Albury are perfect at present but it is a place that goes through seasons too. Winters can be cool here but the climate suits me well nowadays. Greg.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:17 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 01 Jun 1971
Greg was wondering what happened to you,last I heard you were turnkey in england.
Tony friend explained to me that the undersea mining was like ploughing a new field and fertilising it
with finely ground minerals.Possibly Arthur is out of proximity.
Palakau was beautiful and the St Matthias group wonderfully distant.We remember our holidays with
Bruno Kroening on Kaleu .The Auna was still afloat when I left,once the prop shaft broke at the gland
whilst I had a picnic group ,family and nurses,on board.I roped myself around the waist and swam the Auna back from the channel markers to wharf.What about the crocodiles!They used to just sunbake opposite the wharf,
every time I swam to the boat I moved very fast.Could you give me some details of the crocodile massacre when the
Police inspector murdered the mother of crocodiles,then the enraged Palakau villagers cut his croc skin to
pieces in front of him.The year,names?
Massino.