EX-KIAP NETWORK FORUM

an egalitarian discussion board for ex-kiaps, former colleagues such as didiman, chalkies, polis, ko-ops, dokta and whoever else wants to join in.
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Charles Brillante
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:40 pm 
I am registering this post in the hope that someone on the list may be able to give me information on a very dear friend. His name was Charles Robert Brillante (Charlie) and he was a Kiap between 1969 -75 and lived in PNG until 1984 when I understand he died on Manus Island. I would appreciate anyone who has information contacting me, today would have been his 58th birthday. email juliew@webbpacific.com.au

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:40 am 
Ex-Kiap

Julie, Although I was a Kiap in Manus I was transfered to the Southern Highlands in 1969.I did not know Charlie, however I currently work for an oil company in the SH along side two Manus guys one of which (Salone from M'Buke) knew Charlie vaguely and remembers the complications from Malaria that Charlie suffered when he died at Lombrum hospital. I have asked both Manus guys when they next speak to their families if they could find some one that knew Charlie well and I will pass on any information received.
By coincidence my sisters name is Julie Webb.
Regards Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:08 pm 

Thank you very much Dave, I greatly appreciate any information that you are able to give me on this subject.
Regards
Julie

Post subject: Re: Charles Brillante
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:07 pm 

DOSS: 20 Dec 1971
Hi julie ...
I have just joined the site .. so this is a little belated in response to your request.

Charlie was raised in Sydney ... both parents are now dead. He has a sister named Rebecca (Beccy) .. who also sadly passed away about 5 years ago ... while undergoing a routine examination ... had a seizure and died. Beccy married a south african .. who had a daughter (Emma) .. who who was married about the same time.

Charlie married an young american girl named Geraldine in 1971 .. the marriage lasted about 2 years .. with postings in Nigerum, Kiunga and Daru at the time taking their toll. They had one child (Jesse) who was born after the breakup. Jesse has since married and has had one child .. making Charlie a grandfather would he survived. Charlie had little contact with ex wife after the divorce.

Charlie after resigning from the Administration ... ended up in Manus where he married a local girl .. and had 2 children, both boys. The story of his death as related to me was that he had a bad bout of malaria, went skin diving .. and did not surface. The search for him that day had to be postponed however his body was found the next day.

Charlie... seem to have some difficulty with authority ..however I remember him as a warm and passionate advocate for PNG. He was most capable linguist I have known and was able to pick up local languages .. with all the nuances in the space of week ... to the point where he would delight the villagers with his skill and knowledge of the local customs ...

He saw him self as an 'adventurer' .. and loved his life as a kiap. His passing was a sad day and much promise unfulfilled.

Post subject: Re: Charles Brillante
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:23 am 

Hello Petrus
Thank you for your reply. I already knew the information you discussed, however, I would be most interested to speak with you off line if you would care to email me. Your comments on the linguistics aspect are most enlightening. I still have contact with several of Charlie's ex Kiap friends and would be pleased to hear from you