EX-KIAP NETWORK FORUM

an egalitarian discussion board for ex-kiaps, former colleagues such as didiman, chalkies, polis, ko-ops, dokta and whoever else wants to join in.
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Saidor Story
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:57 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 11 Sep 1967
Saidor Story: A Memoir of New Guinea by Norma Griffin, edited by Anne Griffin, Pukpuk Publications, 228 pages, including maps and photographs, 2016, ISBN-13: 978-1522721987, Paperback US$10 plus postage from Amazon Books.

An interesting situation awaits the bride from Ballarat as she sails to the Territory of New Guinea in 1947 to begin married life with her patrol officer husband.
The Pacific war has left much of her new land in ruins; much of the country is still unmapped or uncontrolled.

Japanese soldiers remain in the mountains. Sorcerers and spirits rule the native people, and a cargo cult is creating unrest in her husband’s district on the Rai Coast.
In Saidor Story, we accompany bride Norma Griffin as she tries to negotiate this harsh, sometimes hostile, frontier world.

We get to know a very diverse station community; we explore the minutiae of domestic life on a remote outpost in the Pacific; we participate in adventures unimaginable to suburban Australia.

Norma tells her story with humour and verve. Her distinctive style and her photographs bring to life a vanished and almost forgotten time, place and people.

Anne Griffin was born in the Territory of New Guinea during her parents’ posting to Kaiapit, in the Morobe District.

Norma entrusted her manuscript and her photographs to her New Guinea child in the hope that the story of one kiap’s wife would be shared. This is that story.

Attachments:
Saidor Story Cover.jpg
Saidor Story Cover.jpg [ 27.7 KiB | Viewed 4077 times ]

Post subject: Re: Saidor Story
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:59 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 24 Jun 1968
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the info as looking forward to reading this. I exchanged some information with Anne regarding my experiences there. All of us who spent time at Saidor will want to read about the early days.

Also, from the author's point of view, in the late 1970s my wife was the only expat woman on the station. She was born in Lae in 1957 and, as many of the national public servants and police at Saidor were from Morobe, they considered her a "Morobe meri" including the Madang DC, Jerry Nalau.

Whenever I was absent from the station on patrol, they told her they would gang up on her and only speak to her in Pidgin. She became quite proficient as a result.

Rossco

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:23 pm 

Hello kiaps,
This book is available in paperback format only:
http://www.amazon.com/Saidor-Story-Norm ... 1522721983
However, the book may have been pirated. E-versions are being offered online by various sites that come and go. No legitimate e-book exists.
Sites offering free e-book downloads are after your credit card details. Please be careful.
Anne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:32 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 22 Mar 1965
Just finished reading Saidor Story. An excellent book and a great read. My thanks to Anne Griffin for the work she put in to get her mother's story published (good end notes etc.). Recommend this book to everyone. :) I was in Saidor briefly after completing the election patrol of 1968 on the other side of the Finnesteres. Had to climb over the Finisteres (camped at about 12000 ft) and down the other side to Saidor. No patrol report unfortunately (it was an election patrol!) and I've lost my FOJ copies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:07 am 

Norma, was my Grandmother. Her stories are amazing. I only learnt of her wonderful adventure filled days when the book was published. Which took far too long.

Norma, (Normie, what Her grandchildren would call her), had three children, Anne and John, (not mentioned) and Jane, (also not mentioned). All children have had children of their own.

Normies grandchildren include:

Anne's child

Rupert - Mentioned in book.

John's Children
Danielle - Not mentioned
Melanie- Not mentioned
Caitlin- Not mentioned
Nichaud- Not mentioned
Me (Ayla)- Not mentioned

Janes Children
Aimee- Not mentioned
Penny- Not mentioned
James- Not mentioned
Normie also has 5 (soon to be 6) great grandchildren.

Anne has done a great job getting this book published. Sadly everyone was left out of this due to the secrecy of it all. I only wish ANNE had mentioned the whole family, not just herself and her son.

We all miss her so dearly, I am amazed that my Normie lived such an amazing life. It is amazing that there are so many people out there that have read my dear normies stories. She was so much more than a mother, so much more than a grandmother and so much more than just a woman. She will live on in me forever.