an egalitarian discussion board for ex-kiaps, former colleagues such as didiman, chalkies, polis, ko-ops, dokta and whoever else wants to join in.
It is currently Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Una Voce
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:09 am 

DOSS: 18 Jul 1949
The Browns and the Sinclairs have been friends for years, brought closer by the final two years in Port Moresby and, in retirement, by telephone calls, get-togethers and visits. (Sometimes I still have mental conversations with Jim about New Guinea issues.)

That said, I was confused by Chris Warrillow’s report in the March issue of the Papua New Guinea Association's magazine (Una Voce) in which he twice stated that Jim was “the last of the Australian District Commissioners.”

Did he mean that Jim was the last of the former Australian District Commissioners to survive, or did he mean that Jim was the last Australian to be promoted to the position of District Commissioner?

I would suggest that neither proposition is correct.

Fred (FPC) Kaad, Keith Dyer (KW) and I are still alive. We were all formally appointed District Commissioners—provisionally promoted and confirmed. I think that we may be the only surviving former DCs.

As to the second proposition: Jim was promoted to District Commissioner at the same time as Mert (MW) Brightwell, Ken (KA) Brown and Bob (B) Bunting on 10th June 1971, but they were not the last to be promoted. Len (RL) Aisbett and Jack (JW) Worcester had that distinction. They were provisionally promoted and there were appeals. Stan (SJ) Pearsall chaired the Appeals Committee. Geoff (CG) Littler was an unsuccessful appellant. Aisbett and Worcester were confirmed but their promotions came too late in the game for them to take up a District role.

I sent an email to Chris Warrillow seeking clarification. He was travelling between Cairns and Melbourne at the time. He had not seen the latest Una Voce, but his reply was prompt. He had not attended the 2017 Kiaps Reunion and he had not written a report for Una Voce.

Crossword Clue: Confused PNG association magazine - CANOEVU (anagram 3,4)
Solution – UNA VOCE

Moresby, Kairuku, Tapini, Urun, Goroka, Kainantu, Vanimo, Aitape, Dreikikir, Ambunti, Wewak, Telefomin, Maprik, Kieta, Arawa, Moresby
1949 - 1975

Post subject: Re: Una Voce
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:31 am 

DOSS: 15 Apr 1953
I wrote it Bill, and I apologise to you and Fred and Keith as at the time of writing I forgot about you. Sorry about that.

Post subject: Re: Una Voce
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:28 pm 

DOSS: 01 Jun 1964
Fred Kaad! Now we all pale into insignificance. He lectured at ASOPA , the advanced diploma in local government. Always in absolute pain in his wheel chair following his accident in TPNG. Gave me best mark in Public Administration 1968 when I was absent during my fathers terminal illness. Kind deed never forgotten.