EX-KIAP NETWORK FORUM

an egalitarian discussion board for ex-kiaps, former colleagues such as didiman, chalkies, polis, ko-ops, dokta and whoever else wants to join in.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Peter Whitehead
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:45 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 08 Nov 1965
I have just been advised by Peter Edwards that Peter Whitehead died in October this year. I did not know him but there would be many of you that appreciate being told of his passing.

Post subject: Re: Peter Whitehead
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:21 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 22 Mar 1965
Only mention I could find on the Internet was this:

"WHITEHEAD. Peter George. Passed away peacefully on Tuesday Oct. 11, 2016. Loving and adored husband of 50 years to Diana. Caring father of Andrew, Brian and Shane. Father-in-law to Karen, Meaghan and Heather. Grandad to Liam, James, Mathew, Lachlan and Teagan. Special thanks to the wonderful staff at Frankston Hospital ICU. Private Service"

Peter was my OIC at Taskul and very good one at that. I remember many good times. He was a person who got things done regardless. Always backed up his staff and in return the staff (Skunge and myself) backed him up when HQ found out about how the new wharf at Taskul was really funded (sic) :lol:
I will always fondly remember him. R.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:34 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 24 Aug 1970
Peter was my first OIC.
As very new boy I and family arrived Dec.24. Peter and Di looked after us very well for the festive season – even though we are Welsh and teetotallers too. Ves my predecessor as LLG Adviser, John Hunter - didiman with planter Jim White all added ambience to my 1st Xmas down under.
Even though under Peter's as OIC Taskul there was somewhat confusion in line management as my line boss was DLGO Coburn in Kavieng who would issue instructions for patrol too.
In 2008 I and local kids spent few hours trying to save wharf from falling into sea as it was being eroded at land edge. Skunge's pimped VW beatle is lying rusting off the end. Use it to ferry UNO 'Group of 24' around the red muddy roads in 2007 or 8.
Trying to send 2008 pictures of Wharf and Patrol Post - Arthur

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:00 am 
Ex-Kiap

Ves hope this pic of wharf gets through

Attachments:
Taskul Wharf 2008.jpg
Taskul Wharf 2008.jpg [ 1004.34 KiB | Viewed 8439 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:01 am 
Ex-Kiap

Wow I did it but sorry guys too too large

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:09 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 11 Sep 1967
Nice wharf. Be interesting to know how it was paid for.

I found a handy way to reduce the resolution of photos so they're not too big on sites like exkiap Arthur. When you have the photo on your desktop right click on it and then click on send to a mail recipient. A new email page will show up with the photo as an attachment. Highlight the attachment and drag it to your desktop. You'll be asked whether you want to replace the photo on the desktop. If you click yes you will end up with a much lower resolution photo you can use on exkiap. If you want to keep the older high resolution photo it's best to have just a high resolution copy on the desktop and the original high resolution photo stored elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:28 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 22 Jun 1968
Artie
No problems this end.
Use very old PC app which I find if I right click photo then asks if I want to view same which then reduces size to normal,

In these days when philistines prevail is there is naught left to appreciate the wonder of gaze

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:01 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 27 Feb 1961
Peter Whitehead and the Taskul Wharf - brings back memories!
In mid 1972 I arrived in Kavieng as a fully fledged District Officer, having served 11 years including 6 years in the Goilala, plus Kaintiba, Madang and ASOPA one year course. Peter Whitehead was District Officer Lands having left Taskul in the hands of Roger Fairhall. I was posted to take over as ADC Kavieng District from Mike Cockburn who took up a commission as a fulltime Stipendiary Magistrate. However, being the only unmarried District Officer in a retirement ground for senior Kiaps, I spent only six months in Kavieng then shunted off to Namatanai to take over from ADC Harry Redman, six months there then to Taskul to take over from ADC Roger Fairhall. Taskul was now the HQ of the Lamet District which included New Hanover and the Mussau-Emira Islands (Palakau Patrol Post). After six months at Taskul, I then took over as DO (L) from Peter Whitehead in Kavieng. I remember Peter as a true gentleman, and he had done an excellent job in reorganising the large number of lands files, and initiated written instructions to field officers on many land duties.
Now for the Taskul Wharf. When I arrived at Taskul I found the old wooden wharf to be dilapidated, sinking into the sea and unsafe to use. After discussing the matter with my local staff we decided to rebuild it. The station labourers and prisoners (Taskul was the last remaining police detachment under Kiaps, complete with a lockup, in New Ireland) cut some sturdy mangrove logs for piles, and using hand made pile drivers, we banged them into place. The next problem was to remove the two old piles facing out to sea. Even the Theresa May (the District Commissioner's trawler, not the British PM!) was unable to tug them out. My Mussau labourers, who are noted for their free diving ability, volunteered to dive down and saw them off with a two man cross cut saw (pulim ikam, subim igo!) I was sceptical but allowed them to have a go. In pairs, they would dive to the bottom, spend a few minutes sawing, then be relieved by the next pair. I believe this wharf did the job until later replaced by the concrete one shown in Arthur's photo.