EX-KIAP NETWORK FORUM

an egalitarian discussion board for ex-kiaps, former colleagues such as didiman, chalkies, polis, ko-ops, dokta and whoever else wants to join in.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:20 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 24 Aug 1970
Just got short message from New Ireland that Rod is said to be pretty ill in Kavieng hospital.

He signed off from the I-net when he left Lihir Mining in 2013 by saying:
Good morning Arthur. I have decided that 53 years of work is enough and have decided to hang up my boots. I have 3 more swings at Lihir before I leave in June. Will then laze around Kavieng for a while and probably put up a little shack on our block at Fatmilak. I would then like to spend a bit of time in Oz with my boys at Mareeba and Townsville. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Great mate hope he can recover from what ever has hit him
Get well Rod
fraternally
arthur

Post subject: Re: Rod Saker ill
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:03 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Sadly just got texted from my Kavieng family that Rod died on 27th Nov.
A great mate.
Was so helpful when ever i needed assistance.
RIP old friend
Arthur

Attachments:
File comment: 1971 Rod relaxing in humid cliamte
Peter Edwards 1971_kavieng_ Rod SAker house.jpg
Peter Edwards 1971_kavieng_ Rod SAker house.jpg [ 42.31 KiB | Viewed 579 times ]

Post subject: Re: Rod Saker
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:37 am 
Ex-BMS

Hi Arthur:

Thanks for letting us know of Rod's passing. I worked with Rod at Konos and found him to be an excellent colleague and friend. After he left Konos he visited us a few times to stay for a weekend and was a favourite with my wife, largely because she said he usually made much more sense than I did after drinking equivalent amounts of grog. Our paths crossed a couple of times in Melbourne, the last time in 1977 when we were on leave from my DO etc position in the Gilberts. We gradually lost touch after that but he was never forgotten.

Cheers,
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:52 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 10 Feb 1971
I got to know Rod well when I was posted to Kundiawa for the first time in 1977-78 and he was ADC Kamtai.

Bloody beaut bloke. One of Nature's gentlemen.

Peter Turner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:09 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 24 Jun 1968
I was on the same intake as Rod at ASOPA and then Kwikila in 1968. Whilst I never caught up with him again during my time in PNG, there were always stories circulating that I kept abreast with the goings on of most of our group.

My family and I departed at the end of 1981 and returned to Melbourne where I gained employment at Frankston City Council and we bought a house in the Westernport village of Balnarring. I joined the local cricket club to find Rod’s younger brother, Ian, was also a member. Our families became good friends and I was kept aware of Rod’s activities through Ian. About 30 years ago Ian’s family looked after Rod’s son, Robert, when he undertook schooling in the region and I was able to catch up with Rod when he visited.

I contacted Ian when I read Arthur’s posts to pass on condolences during which I learnt of Rod’s situation.
He had contracted typhoid fever but the parlous state of medical services in Kavieng meant that he couldn’t be adequately treated. As his condition deteriorated, Robert and Ian made arrangements for Rod to be urgently medevacked to Australia but he passed away before this could occur.

Ian was grateful for all our thoughts and to learn of the high regard with which Rod was held by all who came in contact with him. Unfortunately another one gone far too young!

Rossco

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:56 pm 
Ex-BMS

DOSS: 26 Aug 1963
Took Rod on his first patrol to the Tanga Islands group in1968. Later caught up with him at Alan McLay's
place in Madang whilst on a break from the Chimbu. He stated he was not enjoying Chimbu so was able to pull a few strings to get him reposted to New Ireland - never thinking he would stay forty years.
Called on him in Kavieng in 1995 whilst he was working as Assets Manager for the New Ireland Provincial Government on a local officer's salary and doing it tough. Hopefully his circumstances improved while working for Lihir Mining.
A genuine good bloke sadly missed by many.

John Brady