EX-KIAP NETWORK FORUM

an egalitarian discussion board for ex-kiaps, former colleagues such as didiman, chalkies, polis, ko-ops, dokta and whoever else wants to join in.
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: RPNGC LEGACY - WEBSITE
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:16 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 10 Feb 1971
RPNGC Legacy has a website if any of you former RPNGC (Field Branch) Officers wish to check it out.

You may even wish to become Life Members, like one of our few Canadian ex Kiaps, Rhys Carpenter, now resident in the U.S., whom I met at Obiemi Base Camp in 1973 or 4, when I walked over from nearby Mt. Bosavi.

K1500 (These days a little over A$500, gets you a nice Certificate signed by Police Legacy Patron and Constabulary Commandant, His Excellency Sir Michael Ogio GCL KCMG KSt.J PSM, Governor General of Papua New Guinea, and that nice warm feeling when you contribute to a good cause, the education and support of necessitous children whose Father or Mother is deceased whilst serving the Constabulary.

The main Website, which can be found by googling RPNGC Police Legacy, contains a number of interesting links to all sorts of things and parallel sites such as ;

https://sites.google.com/site/rpngcpoli ... gc-history

https://sites.google.com/site/rpngcpoli ... ial-awards

The Historical Section is being added to daily and includes interesting stuff like photographs of Policemen over the decades, and copies of various Newsletters published in the 1960's and 1970's, which is where I discovered that P.O. Lyn Clarke was arrowed in the Gulf Province's Hatha Gorge in 1951 and that one of our comrades, then an ADO, was awarded a NSW Police Commissioner's Commendation for his assistance, whilst he was on leave, to a NSW policeman. Find out who by having a gander.

To date most of the records and photographs relate to Regular Constabulary, but there is no reason why the Field Constabulary should not start to get a mention. Anyone who would like to contribute send your contributions to policelegacy@hotmail.com.

Cheers,

Peter Turner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:58 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 22 Mar 1965
Great idea. Sent off a note that I'm interested. See what happens.

Ves

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:26 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Hi Ves,

What happens Ves, is I pounce on you like a Huli on a Muruk, send you the Bank Account details of the Peter Turner Nigerian Christmas Club account, er, I mean RPNGC Legacy account at the Westpac Port Moresby, or request a kina Bank Draft, and thank you for your generosity.

The funds go straight into the Commandant's Scholarship Fund (CSF) and are used 100% for educational expenses for approved Legatees.

As Police Legacy's Membership base expands (from 188 in May 2013 to, currently nearly 1500, with the goal of 2,000 by the end of this year and a large proportion of the rest of the 6,000 strong Constabulary, by the end of next year), we anticipate that the number of Legatees will increase exponentially.

Des Martin (1949 seniority) has also put his hand up to be a Life Member and the CSF continues to grow (now over K520,000) with Corporate sponsorship and individual donations like yours. Good on you mate. 'Look forward to hearing more from you.

Cheers,

pt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:18 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 22 Mar 1965
Waiting for a/c details. You must have the same Nigerian bank that I do :)

Ves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:16 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 16 Feb 1970
Last year I succumbed to Peter's silver tongue and contributed K1,500 to RPNGC Legacy by becoming a Life Member. Daft, maybe, but ever since leaving PNG I've felt that I had received more than I gave.

Papua New Guinea was a country that was for the most part glad to have our help and contributions. 'Where people would spontaneously give pineapples or sugar cane to members of a patrol as we walked along on miserably hot humid days.

People willingly helped solve what we viewed as crimes, while they viewed them as simply the way things were done, I'm talking here of the less developed areas of the country in those days. People were always willing to sit down and talk about their views of how the world was organized. Villagers helped build roads and schools and aid posts when none existed and they wished for them.

There is no group I owe a larger debt than members of the Royal Papua New Guinea Constabulary. It was impossible to run a station of any size without relying on them. It was stupid to try and get through your service without picking their brains for the best way to do things, and not just police related things. In fact that became a habit as long as I worked in PNG - for obvious reasons.

I have to believe that many of my colleagues did the same. In several cases an astute Sergeant, Corporal, or Constable kept me from making a spectacular ass of myself, rather than just a plain old ass. One saved me, at the last minute, from drowning on a patrol by quickly figuring out what was going on and issuing instructions to the carriers.

At least by contributing I can pay back some of what I owe. 'Can help relieve some of the worry members have over how their families will be taken care of if they die in service.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:14 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 29 Jun 1971
Dear All,
Over the past little while I've been offering to deposit funds into the RPNGC Legacy Fund whilst visiting PNG. This saves on being charged excessive fees by our banks and those in PNG. It has worked well.

Morag and I have been fortunate to have cruised to PNG a number of times since June last year and I have had the opportunity to ask guests if they have any Kina left over at the end of their cruise they might like to donate them to the RPNGC Legacy Fund.

I've met at least 12 exkiaps on various ships and also met families of kiaps who have passed on. These I have encouraged to apply for the POSM (TPNG).

On a recent cruise from Cairns to Japan one pommie passenger changed Pounds for K400 and they only spent K50 in Alotau so decided to donate the K350 they had left over.

An exkiap and his wife (Geoff and Penny Speed) who was there in the 60's but left to join DCA to make the most of the air-conditioning of the control tower in Madang airport chipped in $150.

A couple of days ago I was able to deposit K3,500 into the account and I'm sure that Peter Turner will be able to let us know how many scholarships this might cover or whatever it will go towards.

I'll keep asking those we meet on the ships to make their meaningful donations.

FYI chaps.

Cheers, John and Morag.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:40 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Thanks for that John,

All donations are deposited to the 'Commandants Scholarship Fund'.'

Currently we are funding 34 Scholarships and with about 70 Policemen and Women deceased each year, the numbers are expected to increase by 100 or so per annum with expected number of Scholarships expected to peak at about 800 in the next decade.

Every little bit helps. Good work mate.

Cheers,

pt