EX-KIAP NETWORK FORUM

an egalitarian discussion board for ex-kiaps, former colleagues such as didiman, chalkies, polis, ko-ops, dokta and whoever else wants to join in.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:55 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 08 Nov 1965
John Randolph Kerari wrote:
Hi,

Thank you so much for accepting my request. Much appreciated.

I need you assistance to track down and connect with any existing family member of the Resident Magistrate, John Green, who killed in Ioma Patrol Post in the Northern District in the early 1900s. I am from the Ioma area and from the Giriri Doepo clan. My people are desirous of making amends showing remorse the Green family. Are you able to assist please. If there any relatives of Mr Green, please give them my e-mail contact and give this number to contact me please: (675) 708 35 693.

You assistance will be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
John.

He who has the gold does make the rules and that darwinian selfish gene (ISBN 0-19-929115-2) will ensure that the meek will not inherit the earth.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:00 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 10 Feb 1971
Nice sentiment John.

Oro, Oro, Orokaiva!

Peter Turner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:56 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 24 Jun 1968
I’ve been able to ascertain from archived records that John Green’s family lived at Healesville in the Dandenongs , north-east of Melbourne. Contact with the local Historical Society indicates that the Greens were a prominent family with living relatives most likely still in the area.

The Society will get back to me with more definite information so will keep you posted. Does John have any idea of the form that this expression of remorse may take?

Rossco

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:11 pm 
Ex-BMS

A member of John Green's family has been located. She is going to discuss this request with other family members. I have emailed John Kerari to inform him and asked for his advice about what is proposed to pass onto the family.

Hopefully attached is an article re: John Green's murder.

Attachments:
article re John Green.pdf [1.24 MiB]
Downloaded 59 times

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:43 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 24 Jun 1968
John Green was the fifth of twelve children to John Green Snr and his wife Mary. John senior was variously described as an ordained minister or a lay preacher of the Presbyterian Church who migrated to Melbourne from Scotland with his new wife. He moved to Healesville where he became manager of the Coranderrk Aboriginal Station and became recognised for his progressive, benevolent and effective management. This probably had an effect on John junior’s later work in British New Guinea.

John junior travelled to Port Moresby in 1892 and became employed at Kapadi Plantation. It is believed that this is a mistranslation of the name Kabadi which was a tribal area northwest of Port Moresby in the Brown River area. By 1894 John Green was on the staff of the Administrator, Sir William McGregor, and accompanied him on his patrols of British New Guinea.

He was an accomplished linguist and was recognised in Sir William’s Annual Report to the Queensland Governor for his translation of the Kabadi language. Monckton, in his Recollections of a New Guinea Resident Magistrate, stated that Green could speak five local languages as well as Motu and was the most effective field officer in the British New Guinea administrative service.
Responding to the murder of several miners on the Mambare River goldfields, Sir William appointed Green as a Government Agent and sent him to Tamata Station on the Mambare to catch the murderers and to bring peace to the area. There was much sickness in the area and Green decided to relocate the station further inland.

He believed that he had pacified the area as the previously warlike local villagers were regularly coming to the station to sell produce. However, he and his police detachment always maintained a watch and kept their weapons handy. Green was a “hands on” person and took an active part in the construction work. A local who Green had befriended and taken on as station staff, convinced Green to become separated from his weapon as he climbed the scaffolding to undertake roofing work.

The planned attack then took place as described in the article attached by David in the preceding post and which resulted in Green’s death.