EX-KIAP NETWORK FORUM

an egalitarian discussion board for ex-kiaps, former colleagues such as didiman, chalkies, polis, ko-ops, dokta and whoever else wants to join in.
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: PAST SERVICE RECORDS
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:09 pm 

Hi All,

My father, Hector McDonald Nickols was a Kiap in the late 20's and joined with Errol Flynn.

He was based in Hoskins and I have retained maps of his patrol area along with many notes of his experiences.

My father later served on Goodenough Island as a radar officer with the RAAF.

I would appreciate obtaining any records of his service.

I also served in PNG with the PNGDF in 1978-1980.

During my time there I was responsible for re-equipping the Coastwatch service with communications equipment which remained active, even through 1980 under the Naval component of the PNGDF.

Post subject: Re: PAST SERVICE RECORDS
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:11 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 24 Jun 1968
Hi David,

For several years we have been attempting to compile a Nominal Roll of all who served as Kiaps in the various administrative periods and territories to Independence. Your father’s name appears on the list for the administration of the Mandated Territory of New Guinea, details are as follows:
Hector Macdonald Nickols born 23 June 1900. Appointed Patrol Officer 19 February 1925 but resigned 16 November 1926. He was based at Rabaul and reportedly found lode bearing quartz whilst on patrol in the Nakanai region of East New Britain. A legal file at National Archives provides details surrounding this episode.

His RAAF enlistment file provides further details of his employment history although gaps exist. Hector applied for an appointment to the RAAF Administrative Branch on 20 May 1941 and received a trainee appointment on 17 January 1942.
On this form he stated that his employment and military service history was as follows:
10/3/1917-23/8/1919 11th LHR
1/5/1925-12/2/1927 Patrol Officer Mandated Territory of New Guinea
11/1927-2/1929 Manager/Accountant Guinea Airways Wau
9/1934- Customs Clerk Commonwealth Government.

Hector’s World War One and Two service files and a legal file from PNG can be viewed on line at National Archives. His Patrol Officer employment file is available there but has not been digitised yet. We have a 23 June 1926 Government Gazette that provides details of his appointment and posting to Rabaul.

Re Errol Flynn, we know from various sources that he alleges that he was appointed to some form of government service in Rabaul in 1927 and which lasted about 6 weeks before this was terminated. As a Cadet Patrol Officer scheme had been introduced by then and he was not listed as a participant, his employment is suspect although two later senior officers claim they knew him and that he did kiap duties during that six weeks.

Please contact me direct if you’d like more information or copies of documents or links to on-line files. My email is lpwrw@tpg.com.au

Best wishes

Ross Wilkinson