EX-KIAP NETWORK FORUM

an egalitarian discussion board for ex-kiaps, former colleagues such as didiman, chalkies, polis, ko-ops, dokta and whoever else wants to join in.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:48 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 24 Jun 1968
I am seeking a genuine Copy of a Typical Contract used for 1968 CPO's Intake and if you can pdf it . I am wondering if that Contract we presumably signed is typically on our respective National Archives Files articulating the duties and requirements of a Cadet Patrol Officer taking up a Contract. Thanks
Wayne Cross, ex ADO
1968-75
Angoram, Amboin, Kubalia, Wosera, Wewak.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:27 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 22 Jun 1968
Gidday Boots
Good to hear you are still alive and kicking
Relevant to your inquiry, I have a copy of my original contract of Service as a Kiap.
My copy held is pretty well perfunctory, just 2 pages stating term of contract being 6 years from commencement date 24/6/68, salary and conditions of employment as set down under provisions of PS, PNG Ordinance 1963 with additional page relating to signature of acceptance and Witness signature
Not sure whether this is what you require so please advise
Cheers
Harry

In these days when philistines prevail is there is naught left to appreciate the wonder of gaze

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:40 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Good to hear from you Harry & to know you are on deck !
That's exactly what I want the Contract absolute as in the whole kit & caboodle.
I am travelling so please include your number so I can meet up when next your way or give you a call to catch up.
Mail to me at this address P.O Box 5534, Bundaberg West Qld 4670 and the folks there will on send it to me.
Those 2 pairs of Dunlop Nam issue Boots did me good - they never rotted and mate they saw several years of full on hard bush bashing including in the best of the New Guinea wilds with the some of the highest rainfalls. I saw the local trade store el cheapos canvas et al simply fall apart. From my perspective it was good decision in Sydney pre departure to get good quality jungle proven boots even if I did gain the nickname Boots.
My other prize pre departure possession was a Tissot watch vogue at the time but after our Kiap day at a Village on the sea ex Kwikila seawater got in and stuffed it so I haven't been a fan of Tissot ever since.
Cheers
XXIE ( 'Boots' to Class of '68)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:41 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Gidday Boots,

Harry was smart in making a copy. I didn't and a search of my file at National Archives doesn't have the original so not sure where it is.

Your files are also at National Archives but it now costs an arm and a leg to have them digitised so you can ask to view them at the nearest NAA facility to you. However there's no guarantee your contract will be in it judging on my experience.

If you are after a list of duties then they are attached to the relevant duty statement for each position in our rank structure.

Cheers

Rossco

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:52 am 
Ex-Kiap

Gidday Rossco
Good to hear from you mate and to see you up and well. Hope to see you before too long. Thanks for the update. I am waiting to hear from the folks as to when Harrys letter turns up with a copy of his contract et al.
I will be very interested too in the duty statements for all ranks up to and including ADO
if I can get copies on sent to PO Box 5534 Bundaberg West Qld 4670.
I have some important historical matters that have cropped up and I need to set the record right.
Digressing and unrelated , on the question of rank what was the official take on a Officer with higher rank ( ADO ) but with less seniority as in years of service being over stepped by a PO with more years of service appointed as A/ADC later returned as PO. I always thought from my 3 years ADF CMF service from 17 as a ex 2 Commando Ripponlea and later 1 CommZ Provost Abbotsford CMF that Rank over ruled any rank below, regardless of there seniority. Maybe I am wrong in that the Public Service Rules for us differed . I found it interesting too that there was, I think 14 of us, from our Class of 68 who made it to ADO at around 3 years when old school it was 5years but what caught my eye was two guys who got there according to the Staff list at around 18months.
Cheers
Boots

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:21 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 12 Dec 1964
Wayne Cross wrote:
I am seeking a genuine Copy of a Typical Contract used for 1968 CPO's Intake and if you can pdf it . I am wondering if that Contract we presumably signed is typically on our respective National Archives Files articulating the duties and requirements of a Cadet Patrol Officer taking up a Contract. Thanks
Wayne Cross, ex ADO
1968-75
Angoram, Amboin, Kubalia, Wosera, Wewak.

Wayne

Here is a typical contract from 1964. All the employment details were included in the Ordinance and Regulatons quoted so you would need to locate a copy of that as well.

Attachments:
File comment: Cadet Patrol Officer's Contract 1964.
Cadet_Contract_1964.jpg
Cadet_Contract_1964.jpg [ 137.96 KiB | Viewed 2329 times ]

Once red headed with grey eyes. Now grey headed with red eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:38 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Ian
Many thanks for that much appreciated .I will necessarily compare it with Harrys version et al because we were on the same course just in case of any subtle Ordinance changes in the 4 years. The other aspect is the Duties correlated to our intake and the flow on to our respective ranks. I have to be right on this one as history is not forgiving. Looking at your seniority can you confirm you were prior to joining, from the Kaniva Vic district & environs as your first and last name came up when I was 16 Head Prefect & School Captain in '64 at the Goroke Vic Consolidated school. Due my long goal of becoming a Kiap , my mother made enquiries around the very remote farming district and advised she spoke presumably to your relatives which spurred me on mate to joining at 20 , other than I had a Aunt in Rabaul prior thereto , notwithstanding my father had served as a soldier in Milne Bay, Buna & Finschafen. If that's you Ian , as names can double up or in my case mistaken identity in my exact full name , please let me know and I will aim to see you before too long as the interesting tales of a Patrol Officer Ian Bates around the district were a real inspiration to me & other farm owner kids for several years seeking true adventure and a interesting life , away from the then boring farm activities.
Cheers
XXIE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:56 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 12 Dec 1964
Wayne Cross wrote:
Ian
Many thanks for that much appreciated .I will necessarily compare it with Harrys version et al because we were on the same course just in case of any subtle Ordinance changes in the 4 years. The other aspect is the Duties correlated to our intake and the flow on to our respective ranks. I have to be right on this one as history is not forgiving. Looking at your seniority can you confirm you were prior to joining, from the Kaniva Vic district & environs as your first and last name came up when I was 16 Head Prefect & School Captain in '64 at the Goroke Vic Consolidated school. Due my long goal of becoming a Kiap , my mother made enquiries around the very remote farming district and advised she spoke presumably to your relatives which spurred me on mate to joining at 20 , other than I had a Aunt in Rabaul prior thereto , notwithstanding my father had served as a soldier in Milne Bay, Buna & Finschafen. If that's you Ian , as names can double up or in my case mistaken identity in my exact full name , please let me know and I will aim to see you before too long as the interesting tales of a Patrol Officer Ian Bates around the district were a real inspiration to me & other farm owner kids for several years seeking true adventure and a interesting life , away from the then boring farm activities.
Cheers
XXIE

Hi Wayne
That's me - from Kaniva. I completed Year 12 at Kaniva High also in 64 (by correspondence) and arrived in Port Moresby only 4 days or so after my last exam.
Nice to know someone spoke well of me at home. I hope you didn't regret the encouragement to join up.
Any chance you will be attending the reunion in November? That's always a good catch up.

Once red headed with grey eyes. Now grey headed with red eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:20 am 
Ex-Kiap

Hi Ian,
That's real good to know you are that Kaniva lad that I followed for several years until gaining entry at 20 starting the journey back c. 53 years ago in '64. No regrets at all- my path to gain entry was a lot harder as the Year 11 correspondence papers ex Melbourne didn't reach us till end May 64 , 3 only, in the year 11 class , never a grade 12 then, at the Goroke Consolidated School . I was just turning 16 then , which as you can well imagine , put me miles behind. Because I was so determined to pass the Leaving Certificate needed to pass muster for the Kiap entry I pleaded with the old man who booked me around June , a room at the Kaniva Hotel (down from Freddie Barnes the Jeweler) from Sunday night to Friday night where I spent several months attending Kaniva High then at year end I was off on the famous Overland at 16.5 to Melbourne doing night school 2 nights a week, a full day job, CMF reserves 1 night a week. Every time you returned home on leave your stories reached me & that kept the dream and determination alive. A big thank you! .
On the November Reunion its a long way off but I will be seriously trying.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:23 am 

DOSS: 0- 3-1964
Good morning gents, have been following the discussion with interest and just to muddy the waters a little, my L of A from March 64 (courtesy Nat Archives),attached. I believe we were the first "contract" induction but no use of the word in the correspondence, just the 6 year commitment. Ian's letter is specific and I can imagine a paralegal public servant beavering away to update the document to reflect the changing times. I have my CPO duty statement which is a PO job description with supervisory rider. If it is of interest I will upload it. Regards John Moyes

Attachments:
CPO Letter of Appoint Mar 64.pdf [1.29 MiB]
Downloaded 122 times

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:22 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Thanks John for your contribution , much appreciated. With all the helpful input so far I now know what I am exactly looking for and hopefully receiving after I put Canberra National Archives on notice but yes any additional INTEL on the duties is "gratefully welcomed"!. I cant see at this point without a purpose visit to Canberra ,that I will ever get fully, what I need in a reasonable time . I am seeking my Contract and Duties statements CPO, PO and ADO plus Local Court Gazettal primarily to give me credibility and evidence in the heightened activities and areas I work in particularly overseas. Our ex-kiap website is a very good reference point but because of changing times and particularly with mistaken identities of individuals as in my exact name, a real crook, who was slotted here for nigh on ten years, the evidencing of a past Canberra issued letter of Offer of Appointment and the gaining of a Contract with strong evidence in support of the activities, as in duties expected of us, is what truly counts. Keith Willey in Assignment New Guinea (c.'65) gave us Kiaps a good wrap up when he said we were the cream of Australian youth and I believe we generally were for what place in British Commonwealth Modern History after Africa did men rise to the junior Bench without following the normal circuitous route of today. I take a certain amount of pride in having served as a Kiap and although I am humbled at times I never want anyone anywhere to underestimate what was in our appropriate Duty Statements and what was truly expected of us and what we gave & delivered in return. Bottom line when one enters the top offices and noting where I have been as Special Adviser to two past PNG Prime Ministers Wingti and Namaliu, where photos count, the additional Kiap related documents are held in high importance, as the thread, particularly in jurisdictions outside Australia and PNG. As a potential back up , of international renown for a creditable reference abroad as long as he is available and ordinarily he is not, being a private person now in Texas, there's The Rt Hon Andrew Peacock MP our past Minister, who visited me as OIC Amboin Patrol Post and wrote me & the Administrator several letters but as I reiterate Canberra, hopefully will produce the real deal without bothering him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:45 pm 

DOSS: 0- 3-1964
Hi Wayne, Copy of PO Duties attached. This was from my personal papers, not Archives. Sorry about truncation, my scanner has never heard of foolscap! Archives did send me copies of performance reviews which should show your postings and senior officers. I was totally unaware of these reviews so can only assume they fulfilled a bureaucratic requirement, not designed to edify and improve staff performance. Good luck with the paper chase. John

Attachments:
P O Duties statement DNA 64.pdf [1.58 MiB]
Downloaded 120 times

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:06 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Wayne
When I went looking for copies of my employment history in PNG through NA I found my file was held in the Brisbane office of NA.
I made an appointment then sighted my file then copied what I wanted no sweat.
I do not know why my file ended up in Qld, one of life's mysteries I guess
Probably worth while following up.

In these days when philistines prevail is there is naught left to appreciate the wonder of gaze

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:24 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Thanks Harry for that. I will follow up Brisbane NA this week and advise accordingly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:02 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Wayne
Re duty statements ;
Forgot to mention in previous post
I do not know what occurred in other intakes but our group which I believe was the last recruitment under the cadet ship system were issued on posting with Field Staff Training schedule and records.
Those records clearly outlined the various duties and knowledge required to perform those duties and as one gained proficiency the CPO's ADC and DC would sign off against the required funcrions of the position.
These records also contained details of patorls completed
Cheers
Harry