EX-KIAP NETWORK FORUM

an egalitarian discussion board for ex-kiaps, former colleagues such as didiman, chalkies, polis, ko-ops, dokta and whoever else wants to join in.
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:20 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 24 Aug 1970
Just got short message from New Ireland that Rod is said to be pretty ill in Kavieng hospital.

He signed off from the I-net when he left Lihir Mining in 2013 by saying:
Good morning Arthur. I have decided that 53 years of work is enough and have decided to hang up my boots. I have 3 more swings at Lihir before I leave in June. Will then laze around Kavieng for a while and probably put up a little shack on our block at Fatmilak. I would then like to spend a bit of time in Oz with my boys at Mareeba and Townsville. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Great mate hope he can recover from what ever has hit him
Get well Rod
fraternally
arthur

Post subject: Re: Rod Saker ill
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:03 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Sadly just got texted from my Kavieng family that Rod died on 27th Nov.
A great mate.
Was so helpful when ever i needed assistance.
RIP old friend
Arthur

Attachments:
File comment: 1971 Rod relaxing in humid cliamte
Peter Edwards 1971_kavieng_ Rod SAker house.jpg
Peter Edwards 1971_kavieng_ Rod SAker house.jpg [ 42.31 KiB | Viewed 12507 times ]

Post subject: Re: Rod Saker
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:37 am 
Ex-Kiap

Hi Arthur:

Thanks for letting us know of Rod's passing. I worked with Rod at Konos and found him to be an excellent colleague and friend. After he left Konos he visited us a few times to stay for a weekend and was a favourite with my wife, largely because she said he usually made much more sense than I did after drinking equivalent amounts of grog. Our paths crossed a couple of times in Melbourne, the last time in 1977 when we were on leave from my DO etc position in the Gilberts. We gradually lost touch after that but he was never forgotten.

Cheers,
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:52 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 10 Feb 1971
I got to know Rod well when I was posted to Kundiawa for the first time in 1977-78 and he was ADC Kamtai.

Bloody beaut bloke. One of Nature's gentlemen.

Peter Turner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:09 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 24 Jun 1968
I was on the same intake as Rod at ASOPA and then Kwikila in 1968. Whilst I never caught up with him again during my time in PNG, there were always stories circulating that I kept abreast with the goings on of most of our group.

My family and I departed at the end of 1981 and returned to Melbourne where I gained employment at Frankston City Council and we bought a house in the Westernport village of Balnarring. I joined the local cricket club to find Rod’s younger brother, Ian, was also a member. Our families became good friends and I was kept aware of Rod’s activities through Ian. About 30 years ago Ian’s family looked after Rod’s son, Robert, when he undertook schooling in the region and I was able to catch up with Rod when he visited.

I contacted Ian when I read Arthur’s posts to pass on condolences during which I learnt of Rod’s situation.
He had contracted typhoid fever but the parlous state of medical services in Kavieng meant that he couldn’t be adequately treated. As his condition deteriorated, Robert and Ian made arrangements for Rod to be urgently medevacked to Australia but he passed away before this could occur.

Ian was grateful for all our thoughts and to learn of the high regard with which Rod was held by all who came in contact with him. Unfortunately another one gone far too young!

Rossco

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:56 pm 

DOSS: 26 Aug 1963
Took Rod on his first patrol to the Tanga Islands group in1968. Later caught up with him at Alan McLay's
place in Madang whilst on a break from the Chimbu. He stated he was not enjoying Chimbu so was able to pull a few strings to get him reposted to New Ireland - never thinking he would stay forty years.
Called on him in Kavieng in 1995 whilst he was working as Assets Manager for the New Ireland Provincial Government on a local officer's salary and doing it tough. Hopefully his circumstances improved while working for Lihir Mining.
A genuine good bloke sadly missed by many.

John Brady

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:48 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 01 Mar 1971
I knew Rod when he worked in Konos and remained a friend with him and his family until departure from PNG in 1984. I have a photo of myself holding his two kids outside Bruno Kroening’s house in Kavieng the day I left Kavieng and PNG. We were both great mates with Bruno and his wife Hannah. Rod was a fine man, contributed so much to PNG and was a wonderful father to his children. He is sadly missed, even after a long interval of no contact. RIP Rod.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:08 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 01 Jun 1971
Arthur and Greg,could you post ,Bruno Kroening ,his finish.I have details of his life I would like to post.
I was on Mussau when Bruno was preparing to move to the Kazakopf store at KopKop.As you know Rod and Bruno were great friends.As was I.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:52 pm 
Ex-Kiap

The last news I have of Bruno is that he died in Kavieng on December 7, 1997. I last saw him in Australia in 1991, when he was in Gosford, NSW, visiting his sister Irmgaard who lived on the NSW Central Coast. He looked well, but was suffering from severe macular degeneration and was nearly blind. He was the same cheerful man with many stories to tell and met my then wife and baby daughter Sarah. He was a great friend who I visited from Palakau (Mussau Is, New Ireland) when I was OIC there. He ran a coconut plantation on Kaleu Is, offshore from Mussau, was happily married to Hannah, and captained the frequently broken down “Tekin” on copra carrying voyages to Rabaul. I once drifted on the Tekin in Bruno’s company for several days, with the stench of heated diesel coming from the bilges and Bruno consuming 3 cartons of SP lager, brown bottles floating in the sea behind our drift pattern. I’ve attached a photo I took in June 1984 as I was leaving for the UK after a second nearly fatal dose of Falciparum Malaria.
Attachment:
FF4E1115-CE5E-4786-8CAC-3D8B0203251D.jpeg
FF4E1115-CE5E-4786-8CAC-3D8B0203251D.jpeg [ 97.01 KiB | Viewed 11282 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:51 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Martin
When ever I was living and/or working in NIP I mostly lived out on my wife’s Lavongai Island. Thus was never much a part of the Kavieng experience. So much so that in 1987 when Jim White was even then reluctantly leaving PNG after 50 years he had sold his Taskul store to me. When he told his remaining old mates in town he had sold it to “…Arthur!” some asked, “Who’s he?”
Thus my knowledge of Bruno was more from tales I heard from the SDA folk I knew and a brother-in-law who had worked for him on his island plantation. I did a stint for the NIP Provincial Govt. as Manager of their Malagan Lodge on the waterfront at Mongol, then Assistant Manager, before back as Manager again when ‘The Phantom’ suddenly walked off the job not very long before his death in 1993.
In the evening two of my regulars were Rod Saker and Bruno. Rod was his ‘keeper’ as Bruno’s eyes were bad. The two of them would sit quietly yarning for three hours sipping their favourite drinks. Believe that Bruno had quite an extended family of Mussau or Emirau Island people in town but many of course would be teetotal so they didn’t bother him and Rod. Rod live in a tiny flat at the rear of what had once been The Kavieng Pharmacy.
After Peter Barter got his initial lease over the Malagan I was offered a lesser role in running the place but declined as I wanted to go home to Lavongai. So only saw Bruno a few times over the next year or two. Rod of course was involved with the first Lihir Mine Agreement and then went over to work on the golden island where he remained until his retirement in 2013 and he went off radar down the Highway I guess at his wife’s place.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:31 am 
Ex-Kiap

Thanks Greg and Arthur,I was wondering too about Jim White.

There is much I don’t Know about Bruno Kroening,but I always knew he was a good man.When stationed at Palakau we non-SDA station people used Kaleu as our weekend picnic spot.Bruno welcomed all and I was never apprehensive about introducing visiting public servants or villagers in our parties.Gregs photo shows Bruno at age 62.He had shrunk dramatically from our 1978 farewell to him.

Bruno born in 1924.(correction,1914)
Bruno’s father Dr.Kroening is mentioned in Geoffrey Dutton Queen Emma.Married to Hannah Rini ,Bruno embraced Hannah’s children and of course knew the Emirau villagers when he was making copra on Emirau,though I don’t know the name of the old plantation.He had a story,
Dr Kroening had his plantation on Bougainville with the further concession ,a lease on the Mortlock Islands an historical wedding present via his wife from Q.Emma.Bruno and his brother Helmut Possibly?
were sent to Mossman Preparatory school in Sydney,where they boarded with the Headmaster.Bruno was sent back to Bougainville after only the first term,for throttling a bulldog.

Last edited by Martin Kaalund on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:55 am 
Ex-Kiap

So about 13 years old Bruno returned to Bougainville and worked on the plantation and for anyone else.
Bruno told me he was employed at Salamaua accompanying carrier lines to the gold fields,he would have only been 15years old .When war came.He evacuated with a led patrol that walked from Salamaua to Papua over the range,he told me his party had the Catholic Nuns that we’re willing to leave as well.
He would have been 30 years old.Bruno worked through the war in Sydney.He very much enjoyed his job as delivery driver for Cahills tea shops.His brother Helmut settled n Sydney after Bougainville mining changed their lives.He travelled to Sydney several times and then,in the early sixties he had a shipboard romance.He was not the first to edge closer to someone on the confined ship.Unfortunately his love was engaged and due to be married on arrival on B.Bruno persisted and eloped with Miss Rossiter,at night they moved to Buka and got a boat to Rabaul.Years later Pastor Cyril Pascoe recalled the events as of yesterday.she had done a Rossiter.Bruno introduced her to Rabaul and then had to find a living.In a cards epic at a friendly Chinese establishment Bruno won an lease on Emirau plantation where he took his love.Bruno had two paintings left of hers,he said she was a wonderful person.
That chapter passed and Bruno found it hard to make a living from copra.When CRA prospected on Mussau Bruno was able to supply transport,and moved to Kaleu island with Hannah Rini.

Last edited by Martin Kaalund on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:23 am 
Ex-Kiap

Thanks for the info Martin, all sounds very close to history as Bruno told me years ago. We used to buy (and consume) 40oz Frigate rums and went though a bottle sometimes in a weekend. Mussau folk used to nick the plastic bungs out of our speedboats and the rum bottle corks were a perfect replacement! Will attach more pics, Bruno aboard the Tekin posing as the great mariner, Bruno and Hannah on Kaleu and Bruno, Hannah and I with Rod Saker’s kids outside his Kavieng house at Kop Kop.

Attachments:
E0463FF7-21AE-4260-9564-758C7DDBC667.jpeg
E0463FF7-21AE-4260-9564-758C7DDBC667.jpeg [ 25.61 KiB | Viewed 11229 times ]
4EEBE05E-53E6-49BA-B6A4-194DF0557275.jpeg
4EEBE05E-53E6-49BA-B6A4-194DF0557275.jpeg [ 52.73 KiB | Viewed 11229 times ]
E2C41B14-60D3-4599-BE14-66A81188DA11.jpeg
E2C41B14-60D3-4599-BE14-66A81188DA11.jpeg [ 21.83 KiB | Viewed 11229 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:00 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Martin:

I think you will find that Bruno was born at Kieta in 1914, which is what he told me when I was at Palakau. I have a photo somewhere of Bruno and Hanna taken at Kaleu in 1972. I used to have many more but they were destroyed when a barge delivering our personal effects to Abemama (Gilbert Islands) tipped over in the lagoon. Attached is a shot of the Kroening family at Bougainville in 1935. Bruno, in the centre at the back, sure looks older than 11.

Attachments:
Kroening Family New Guinea c.1935 (640x472) - Copy.jpg
Kroening Family New Guinea c.1935 (640x472) - Copy.jpg [ 223.74 KiB | Viewed 11212 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:33 am 
Ex-Kiap

Possibly I might have blurred memory syndrome.I will wait for a further bio note from Tony,I was sure he said he was at Salamaua at sixteen,Possibly he was there more than once.The association with Helmut also attending Mosman Prep. I assumed as Helmut settled in Parrawi rd.Mosman.As Bruno was ten years older than my calculations he had ten more healthy years.
Tony were you at Palakau when Bruno nominated for I think 1973 House of Assembly?
Arthur ,when I was at Palakau we had two canoes brought back to Mussau from Taskul by public servants.They said the station had a good stand of pencil cedar that the station folk were all busy with their own canoes.Sounded like a great place,the Tigak passage to me a wonder of the world ,I spent an Easter holiday at Mongop High on the coast road to Namatanai,woken in the early morning by titters and laughs,my companion and I of interest to all the students.As with Kaleu what a priveledge to visit
Tony did you ever walk to the Mussau Stranded lake with the CRA mob Possibly?I remember rounding Talanalu
With waves like Sunset Beach Hawaii,my favourite trolling spot the Bombora off Lamakanaru,on the deep water side of Kaleu,West,Greg,Bruno and self in Bruno’s 9ft tinny,pulling in metre long but but,memories like the dots on the shells......

Last edited by Martin Kaalund on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.