EX-KIAP NETWORK FORUM

an egalitarian discussion board for ex-kiaps, former colleagues such as didiman, chalkies, polis, ko-ops, dokta and whoever else wants to join in.
It is currently Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:40 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 24 Aug 1970
Martin One of my earliest job - to get out OIC Peter Whitehead's hair- was to help prune the fairly small teak plants. They were on a site opposite the DPI station westwards along road past Taskul school. Believe it was a LLGCouncil project perhaps began with Ves Karnup's help.
Couple years later asked about the teak only to be told an expert had visited them but didn't hold out much hope for them because Lavongai has upto 360 inches rainfall and it it is fairly evenly distributed throughout the year. This meant the grain would be far to regular unlike other places with marked dry season and big wet which would lead to more attractive thick and thin graining.
A long time after when one of my daughters was at Taskul school she was sent by her teacher to cut the grass in the teak area. Almost had died out though because of the burning off for fun whenever there was a spell of dry weather.
Another task the OIC gave me, to try out my pidgin i guess, was to plant 'kangaroo' grass on the poor volcanic exposed soil of the Taskul airstrip. The terminal area now purloined by SDA pastor's home and church.
I attach picture of Rod there in 1972 taken by Peter Edwards and posted on this site at 'Photographs'
and mine in 2007 of the remains of DPI Taskul signposy

Attachments:
Taskul 1972.jpg
Taskul 1972.jpg [ 55.22 KiB | Viewed 5748 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:42 pm 
Ex-Kiap

the 'signposy' ie signpost didn't get attached
Tried again

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:15 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Martin:

I'm sure 1914 was the year of Bruno's birth, as my wife also says she remembers that year as stated by Bruno, more than once. She says he was definitely 58 in 1972.

I think we left Mussau before he actually nominated for the HoA but he was certainly planning to do so.

No one from CRA was there during our stay but I did walk around the mountainous area a lot, trying to get to the top and usually getting lost.

The fishing around Mussau really was superb, and individual fish often so big that it was impossible to get them into the boat. My best catches were large pelagics on fairly light, high quality spinning gear, casting from the tiny Kaleu wharf into the deep blue channel. It would sometimes take well over an hour to get a fish in, and I lost a hell of a lot that I never even got to see. It cost me a fortune in gear.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:18 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 01 Mar 1971
Your fishing experiences sound very similar to mine. I remember once, with my Palakau speedboat operator, trolling in deep water off Mussau I hooked something that felt like a monster. The line held, and I got it aboard. It was a huge barracuda that wanted to tear us both apart. We nearly overturned the dinghy in our efforts to stay un-fanged and to subdue the fish. We succeeded but as I remember it did not taste good. I caught and landed plenty of trevally, some big enough to feed the everyone in government service at Palakau. Bruno and I spear fished around the reefs nearby Kaleu but I don’t remember any significant catches.

I also tried to reach the mountain top, but similarly kept getting lost.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:46 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 01 Jun 1971
I asked about the Stranded Lake because I had arranged for a Katelusae guide to take me there.The offer was withdrawn by pressure of the Church Elders,they thought I might be intruding on Tumbuna Knowledge.
They all deny any knowledge of ancestors or traditional dress,though surrounded by pottery and obsidian fragments,1932 was The Coming of The Light,and any suggestion of pre-history denied.
Brian Egloff,archaeologist from ANU visited Loua island and Kaleu.He was following up P.Vinton Kirch s
Discovery of Lapita fragments.His article in Horizon.Later after I left P.V.Kirch jnr. Returned to Eloua The end of the airstrip facing Palakau,that was the rising land leaving stranded artefacts from,thousands of years.I remember a conversation that intimated there were petraglyphs on the surrounding rock of the Stranded lake.It was a continental island come to think of it,possible magnetite core?
All the Loua islanders were enthused and I am sure fossicking has broken out.
Arthur,it must have been close to the station?They had SDA connections,Possibly not so many stands of pencil cedar.

Last edited by Martin Kaalund on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:52 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 27 Feb 1961
I thought Geoff Bailey was a Kiap in New Ireland - when he resigned he went to teachers college and became a teacher in Adelaide.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:58 am 
Ex-Kiap

Hope you’re well Ray! Yes, I’m pretty sure Geoff was a Kiap as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:30 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 01 Jun 1971
Geoff Bailey was on Greg and my 1971 course.He was the Shane Warne of ASOPA fields.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:41 pm 
Ex-Kiap

That’s right Martin, thanks for the memory jog!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:29 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Greg etc
It’s great to fill in the details of people we may have met only occasionally in Kavieng or indeed elsewhere. Provides meat to the bare bones of acquaintances.
An urban lad I was never a fisherman - ask my wife – but what better place than beautiful blue waters of New Ireland to learn at least a little. One good salty yarn at http://www.finefishing.com/1saltfish/au ... gaccid.htm is entitled ‘This was no boating accident’ and was written by Jim Austin who may have been in education possibly teaching at Utu High just outside Kavieng.
It’s well worth a read! Here’s an extract: ‘My first fishing trip on the Mahseer will live in my memory for a very long time (unless I can find a really good psychotherapist). I had three accomplices: Roland Allbrook, a secondary school inspector with just enough overhanging brow and underslung jaw to suggest prize fighting rather than classroom experience; Alan Jousiffe, a British expatriate of dubious character; and Tony Meehan, local hotelier, PNG citizen and self-professed expert on mackerel and wahoo fishing in New Ireland waters….’
The temperature in my hallway is 12C even with central heating on full blast and the night’s ice remains on the flat roof outside. Could do with some Pacific weather and a fresh fish cooked on an open wood fire on Putuk beach across the small passage from beautiful Nusankilo Island and the main shipping route to Taskul from Kavieng.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:33 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Sounds from weather reports you might be even colder at the present Arthur. I live in southern NSW in Albury, on the Victorian border, so live in NSW but work in Victoria. The weather remains warm and sunny here. I enjoyed fishing off Mussau with evening trolling guaranteed to bring rich rewards for dinner that night, often sharing fish with others on Palakau government station.