EX-KIAP NETWORK FORUM

an egalitarian discussion board for ex-kiaps, former colleagues such as didiman, chalkies, polis, ko-ops, dokta and whoever else wants to join in.
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Fred Kaad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:35 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 01 Jun 1971
2/1897 Peter Kaad born Rotuma Island ,now Fiji.Rotuma Island first Christian mission was by the Wesleyan church.Peter Kaad attended Newington College 1911-1914.Newington College was for boarding students ,children of missionaries and Wesleyan ministers. three of the original students of Newington est.1863 were from the Oakes family missionaries”somewhere around Samoa”,George Oakes,whose first name is a complement to George Brown the famous missionary.
Did Fred attend Newington,can I assume(be helpful Bill) that his grandfather was Frederick Kaad.
This would follow the Danish naming custom ,as does mine.
The Kaads would appear well anglicised,they have more than one first name,the Danish custom only one.Fred was interviewed by Peter Cahill and the interview includes a memoir written by his father
“The war came to Rabaul.....” UQFL387 .an Edward Kaad was named in the 1973 UK honours list.
The family might have referred to themselves as English.
Peter Alexander Kaad was the prominent architect of Sydney with his design of the Rural Bank Martin Place.He designed the Mosman War memorial ,and Peter and Fred are listed as father and son members
Of the Mosman RSL.I don’t think that Peter Kaad would have been able to serve overseas as he was a practicing Architect by 1920.

Last edited by Martin Kaalund on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Dear Fred
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:50 am 
Ex-Kiap

Peter Kaad has a biographical note in,notable students of Newington College,but not Fred.If he attended
I could add one.
One woul like to have details of Fred’s mother and father,Fred,s wife and children.This would all be contained on the tape by Cahill.
I personally was fascinated by Allan E Hooper,LOVE WAR AND LETTERS.Here Allan had a five year war that was always intimately close to the locals.In charge of carrier lines,PIB detachments,evacuating wounded for treatment.Laying Marston matting,then pulling it up again!I assume Fred had a similar war.
How did he rise to WO2.
Did his father and himself visit Rotuma pre or post second w2....

Dear Bill is Fred’s interview handy.If talking to Fred mention that John Sutton the South Sydney captain of NRL is from Rotuma.
If Peter thinks I should cancel ,tell me how to do it,thanks Bill

Last edited by Martin Kaalund on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:08 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 18 Jul 1949
Peter Salmon is, we hope, in the process of fixing the thread "Una Voce" in BOOKS, PUBLICATIONS, WEB SITES: "This topic has become centred around Fred Kaad so I will re-edit the subject headings of these postings after I finished this comment."

When that process is completed, I imagine we will finish up with a thread titled District Commissioner Fred (FPC) Kaad OBE, ASM in General section. Sometime after that I intend to kick off another thread which I will label District Commissioner Bob (RR) Cole MC, OBE.

Martin, I am not sure that your "Dear Fred" thread is helpful to that process, or whether your use of "Dear Fred" is appropriate as a title. I would have thought that you could have used something more formal.

At this stage, I am not prepared to contribute anything further to the discussion, other than to correct your incorrect surmise that former DC Fred Kaad completed his education at Newington. He did not.

Can we leave it that way until Peter gets us up and running.

Last edited by Bill Brown on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:55 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 16 Jan 1954
Martin, please do not make up statements when you do not know. My name was given to me not as a complement to George Brown, the missionary. My christian names are George Daniel, given to me as they are names of my two grandfathers. The Oakes family who were missionaries to the east South Pacific Ocean in the late 1700's were no relation to my family. This family later settled in the Sydney area. I did go to Newington College as you are aware from 1948 to 1951.

Post subject: Re: Fred Kaad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:28 am 
Ex-Kiap

I notice Fred Kaad,outstanding runner from Sydney High,struggled against injury to come second in the 200yards in the schools championship in 1939.And you knew that all the time if you were a mate of his
Bill.I thought he might have relocated to Brisbane as his father supervised the building of the Brisbane City Council Chambers,but no.So it looks like he went to service 1940,Possibly .......

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:09 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 11 Sep 1967
Instead of all this speculation why don't you just ask Fred. I'm sure he'd be happy to explain. His telephone number is in the address list.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:27 pm 
Ex-Kiap

I did not know whether he was contactable.Actually Some Jutlunders,drop the Lund when anglicising.
Kaalund can contract to Kaad.I will ask hm if the town of NESTVED features in his family history.
I did not like the way the Anugu Can avoid an elder ,but have a great funeral.I will ring him tomorrow.
As they say history is incremental ,not like cards with trumps.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:09 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Phil ,he is not listed as a member.Tel number please?.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:33 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 01 Jun 1964
Whoops!. Password protected address/telephone number is now public domain?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:53 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 18 Jul 1949
Phil.
I think you should get rid of that post, and
Martin
Stick to knitting.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:00 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 29 Jan 1963
Martin Kaalund,

I havd had to endure, for years now, your ramblings on this forum not to mention your poor use of the language that we use to express our views on it.
I do not know why, given that I presume you have been well educated, you insist on using;
non factual statements
presumption of fact
supposition
incomplete,unfinished and unpunctuated written expression

and so on and so on,

Unfortunately I find your posts to be at the very least annoying, and in the matter concerning Mr Kaad, a man who I have had the privilege of knowing, and who I admire and respect just downright rude, and disrespectful.

Why not give us all a break and confine your posts to matters based on fact and your expression of your posts based on a reasonably correct use of the English language which has more than sufficient words phrases and grammar to enable you to write sensibly and clearly.

If you need to pursue matters then use the email address /contact system setup for this purpose on the site. I for one, am not interested in your exchanges regarding telephone numbers and addresses nor in your observations concerning other forum members for example your exchanges concerning Mr Oakes.

If you do as I have suggested then it is possible that I would find some of what you have to say interesting and constructive.

Additionally, the website, its members and its visitors and guests would benefit as we would then all be in a position to judge it by the worthwhile clearly expressed opinions, anecdotes and information it attempts to provide rather than by the standards you currently display in your many posts

Give it a try.

Use the site fo the purposes that it was established.

cheers

Peter Briggs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:51 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Peter Kaad was an peer of ,Griffin,Rees and King O’Malley.He May well have had abstract paintings and been visited by Cocobau clan.His articles in building still referred to.Possibly you have heard of the Castlecrag subdivision?
I was interested,I played for Mosman rugby.My grandfather lived in Awauba St,the Kaalund’s took up a block in Murcutts Clontarf subdivision
The moment has passed,maybe his mates departed.
I will stick to mine,adieu.Ennui.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:41 am 
Ex-Kiap

Fellow members of the Forum,

I've not been able to keep myself up to date with the postings on the Forum simply because of the number of other responsibilities that on one hand have arisen out of my establishment of this forum that consume time (people looking for details of their father and I should not let it pass that many of these requests are from PNG citizens, request for research matter on PNG by people other than "us", requests from land owner groups for a particular kiap to return to PNG and sort out a local land owner matter, checking and deleting the numerous forum spam registrations I receive each day from the Indian sub-continent, China, Ukraine and the like) and my involvement in other Kiap related matters such as BNE luncheons. I also have a fairly heavy non kiap related social calendar mainly related to property maintenance, club car racing, camping, family social matters, etcetera. All this to keep myself busy to avoid the depression of retirement. I've probably "over bitten" but better that than the alternative. These various activities have kept me from paying much attention to the website in general other than Forum maintenance.

Like most others, on numerous occasions over the years I've noticed the postings of Martin Kaalund, perhaps the best diplomatic way to describe these postings is that they are obtuse, abstract ??? I've only just returned from Morgan Park, Warwick after a car sporting weekend to read an email from Phil Fitzpatrick which has drawn my attention to this matter. Right now I do not have time to closely read this particular topic and in my usual haste of "speed reading" I'm sure that I'm going to miss some matters in the process however ……

I've been most reluctant over the years to be censorial but with this particular situation I'm driven to temporarily/permanently ban Martin from posting on the forum. I do not know Martin personally and if I had the time I would have written to Martin in the first place to try to sort this matter out but I have this feeling that judging by the nature of his postings that this approach would not be successful. So having now banned Martin I'll sit back and assess what the response is and deal with it accordingly, waiting for the "proverbial" to hit the wall so to speak.

Re the address list, some comment arising out of the topic has raised the question of the amount of contact detail included in it. The whole purpose of the address list is to provide contact detail and to save me the trouble of having to deal with "one on one" requests for contact details. If the general consensus is that these details should not be available even though they are behind a password regime and the imbedded email address format which prevents these email addresses being harvested by "bots" then I'm happy to remove the list from the website. If I were to do this, I would still try to maintain an up to date contact list in the background mainly for the purpose of assisting in the organisation of reunions but I will not be a slave to numerous direct emails requesting contact details for "such & such".

Now I better go on my daily mediative "serotonin" walk and ponder the vagaries of life.

Regards - Peter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:38 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 11 Sep 1967
I don't mind Martin's posts.

It's just that I inadvertently broadcast Fred Kaad's telephone number and was rightly pulled up by a couple of people. I hope I haven't caused Fred any inconvenience in the meantime.

I had assumed that anyone with even a passing interest in PNG would be able to check the address list and it wasn't considered particularly confidential.

It's a useful list and I use it all the time and it would be sad to see it go.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:12 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 24 Jun 1968
Dear Mr Moderator,
Like Phil, I have never met Martin but, over the years, have engaged in dialogue with him over several of his enquiries on this site. And I agree with Peter Briggs’ summation of Martin’s style of communicating.

Like your alter ego Peter Salmon, Mr Moderator, I had to find interests to keep me busy in my retirement that occurred six years ago. I have a deep interest in military history and visiting some of the battlefields that my father fought on was behind my application for employment in PNG. So this is one of my primary retirement activities.

I undertake a lot of research and provide information and evidence to authors and documentary producers, give presentations to schools, community groups and military units about Australia’s military history. I assist people undertake research into their family members’ military service and write and present eulogies for deceased veterans at their funerals. I’ve been awarded Life Membership of my father’s Battalion Association.

Martin started asking questions and making statements on this site about a variety of subjects including military activities in the Sepik during the war years. I was undertaking some study of ANGAU and kiap activities in this area and responded to direct him to where information was available. Some of this was contradictory to what he believed based on stories from villagers as told to Catholic priests.

Whilst he appears to be well read and quotes from many texts, this is not apparent from his written communication. In fact, I found it ironic that, in a recent review he wrote for this site on a Hirohito biography by Bix, he complained about problems caused by the obfuscation of language. He then proceeded to do that with the rest of the review through his own language skills.

To me this seems to be indicative of a very disordered brain in that he has so many things going on in his mind that he has not learned to compartmentalise his brain and rationalise his thought patterns. This means that he has developed a cryptic shorthand in his thinking and this has become his way of communicating. I actually looked back at his early patrol reports and covering comments and read that he was criticised back then for his spelling and grammar use.

The other problem with Martin is his apparent lack of humility. He makes assumptions based on guesswork and little evidence but doesn’t seem able to acknowledge corrections. I only hope that he has had the good grace to be able to navigate to the address list on the left, locate George Oakes’ email address and apologise for the incorrect assumption and thank him for the correction because we haven’t seen it here.

However, does this warrant banning him from using the site? Does his style of communicating and the things he says make him so offensive as to warrant banning?
I think not, but, hope this can be a lesson to him –“Engage brain before opening mouth,” as the old saying goes.

Reinstate him see what happens from here.

Regards

Rossco