EX-KIAP NETWORK FORUM

an egalitarian discussion board for ex-kiaps, former colleagues such as didiman, chalkies, polis, ko-ops, dokta and whoever else wants to join in.
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:24 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 08 Nov 1965
2004 Ssangyong Musso Sports Automatic 2.9TD

Speedometer sensor - connects into the transfer case.

Attachment:
musso speedometer sensor 1.jpg
musso speedometer sensor 1.jpg [ 83.09 KiB | Viewed 1608 times ]

Attachment:
speedometer sensor_0002.jpg
speedometer sensor_0002.jpg [ 43.9 KiB | Viewed 1601 times ]

Post subject: Re: TEMP - PETER SALMON
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:44 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 11 Sep 1967
Okay, I give up. What's this got to do with anything?

I've looked at it upside down and sideways but still don't get it.

And yet it's had 55 odd 'views'.

I must be really dumb.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:11 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Phil,

I'm stuck out at Lightning Ridge at my old kiap mate, John McGregor's base camp for ex-kiaps with PSTD. I need a spare part for my 4WD but it has to come in from Korea ETA mid August so I thought I try a few wreckers but when you reply to the wreckers in Gumtree or the like, you can message but you can't attach photos so therein lies the rub, I needed to post those pictures somewhere for the wreckers to have a look at.

Peter

Attachment:
img20180523181121.jpg
img20180523181121.jpg [ 119.22 KiB | Viewed 1538 times ]

Attachment:
panels.jpg
panels.jpg [ 262.55 KiB | Viewed 1538 times ]

Attachments:
lrart.jpg
lrart.jpg [ 159.54 KiB | Viewed 1538 times ]

He who has the gold does make the rules and that darwinian selfish gene (ISBN 0-19-929115-2) will ensure that the meek will not inherit the earth.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:03 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 22 Jun 1968
Why do you need a speedo, just take it easy and calculate speed via tacho?

In these days when philistines prevail is there is naught left to appreciate the wonder of gaze

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:26 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 24 Jun 1968
Hi Harry,

Dunno how lax the Queensland road laws are but down here without a speedo your car's unroadworthy. Police don't need much excuse to throw a car off the roads.

Rossco

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:02 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Okay, makes sense now.

And I'm not going to pass a single comment about the wisdom of buying a Ssangyong Musso.

Lightning Ridge - long way from Olsobip John.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:20 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Harry & Ross,

What the speedometer sensor does is communicate with the auto transmission and tell it when to change gears. In my case the auto transmission will not change from 3rd to Drive so I'm limited to travelling at 65 kph without over revving the engine. Now I could trundle back to Brisbane at 65 kph (turning a 10 hour trip into 20) but with the road trains, B Double trucks & grey nomads climbing all over me at 110 kph in NSW and 100 in Qld, best that I leave the Musso at the base camp and return to BNE by bus next Fri (20/7) and wait for the spare parts to become available.

Peter.

He who has the gold does make the rules and that darwinian selfish gene (ISBN 0-19-929115-2) will ensure that the meek will not inherit the earth.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:59 pm 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 22 Jun 1968
Pete
Looks like you have hit the "Great Wall of China" but never the less a short stint in the outback never did any one any harm even if the weather out there just might be just a little bit chilly for us nambis mob

In these days when philistines prevail is there is naught left to appreciate the wonder of gaze

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:37 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 24 Jun 1968
Peter’s description of his possible trip to Brisbane has evoked a recollection of driving in government vehicles in PNG.

My first posting in late 1968 was Finschhafen where there was a Land Rover and two Mini-Mokes available. Whilst I can recall travelling in the Land Rover, I can’t remember actually driving it. All of my time driving there was in the Mokes and the roads were well covered with coronous surfacing.

I was sent on a short transfer to Kundiawa in early 1969 and attached to the SDO under Lyle Hansen. The office had a Land Rover that was probably getting on in years and starting to misbehave. I remember vividly being in the vehicle with Lyle driving when he did a left turn and the driver’s door flew open. There were a couple of nubile young ladies standing by the road and, as he leant out to grab the door, Lyle greeted them with “Good morning ladies.”

It was here that I had my first experience of 4WD when Lyle sent me out to a village for whatever reason. It took longer than I thought and I started the drive back to town in the late afternoon by which time it had started to rain. The red clay road became very slippery so I slowed considerably until I decided to stop and engage the 4WD, something I’d never done before and which had never been discussed except in very general terms.

It was also getting dark so I turned the headlights on and continued on for a short distance. Maybe I was riding the clutch and brake too much, or whatever, but I felt that 4WD was giving me no better traction than I had before. Whatever it was, discretion suggested that I pull over and stop for the night even though I could see the lights of Kundiawa in the distance.

Sorry, I digress. Shortly after returning to Finschhafen, I was transferred to Kabwum and it was here that I met my first Toyota Landcruiser. Apparently Toyota had won the contract to supply vehicles and the changeover from Land Rover was starting to occur. Unfortunately, the Toyota started to develop a particular problem and I don’t know whether or not it arose from driving styles developed for the TPNG conditions.

What occurred was that the accelerator cable would warp and twist and jam in the guide track. This could occur at either high revs or low revs but there was only one response. The vehicle had to be shut down and the cable disconnected. Fortunately, those early Landcruisers had a hand choke on the dashboard but it meant driving slowly to get the vehicle back to the station. Fortunately we had no other traffic on the road let alone road trains.

Maybe, Peter, you’ve started a new a new subject.

Rossco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:29 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Ross,

When I started at Minj, we had a Mini Moke that was spectacularly unsuited to the terrain. I was out in it once on what was then the back track to Hagen, (eventually became the route of the then-new Highlands Highway, and arrived at the Wara Tuman, a fairly large river on the Minj-Hagen border, to find it in flood. The Moke would have turned into a canoe had I tried to get across. As luck would have it, there was a large line of people working on the road nearby, so quickly they decided they would manhandle the Moke across the river. With about 30 underneath it, and with much fanfare and loud noise, they hoisted it to shoulder height, waded across, and off I went on my way.

At Tabibuga in the Jimi, we had a swb canvas-top Landcruiser. There was no road into the Jimi then, with maybe 20 kilometres of internal roads. So the thing had been completely dis-assembled in Hagen, what would fit into a Cessna went that way, and the chassis was carried over the Waghi-Sepik Divide by Jimi people, which must have taken many days. Then a mechanic came out from Transport in Hagen, rebuilt it and it was still going when I left the Jimi.

Maybe Morrie Brown was OIC when the Landcruiser went in?, can't remember the details.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:40 am 
Ex-Kiap

DOSS: 03 Dec 1965
Peter,
Tried the most likely source in SA but - no joy.
Quote:
Hi
Sorry we do not have a speedo sensor in stock at this time.
Regards

Stanvac Korean Auto Parts
72 O'sullivan Beach Road
Lonsdale SA 5160
Ph. (08) 8382 0400
http://www.stanvac.com.au

Phil,
My daughters each have the same model as Peter has and swear by them for reliability and comfort over the last 5 years. Better than previous Range Rovers :P :P :P
Perceived wisdom is in the eye of the beholder. As I said to Peter, moving from Hervey to Tumby is akin to moving from Surfers Paradise to Eucla. :wink:

Jim,
Will I catch up with you at the PNGAA dinner on 28th October???
I'm going to Penang for a while to escape the Adelaide winter (PNG ruined me as far as dealing with cold is concerned - even up in the moss forests it wasn't too bad) but I'll be back by then.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:00 am 
Ex-Kiap

Your daughters obviously have what is colloquially termed 'good luck' - I spent several days stranded on the Oodnadatta track in one of them.

I like to think of Tumby Bay as what Hervey Bay would have looked like in 1953. It's bloody cold in winter though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:35 pm 
Ex-Kiap

Thanks George.

Even though the auction comes from Grace's estate I imagine the books are all Harry's collection. He was an academic and prolific writer in his later years.

With respect to sending books to PNG I'd advise great caution.

When I set up Pukpuk Publications in conjunction with the Crocodile Prize for Literature we lost hundreds of books in PNG.

At one point I tracked a consignment to the Boroko Post Office and eventually found the books for sale at Koki Market. Someone in the post office stole them and passed them on to a wantok to sell at Koki and Gordons. We also lost consignments travelling via DHL and other freight companies. Consignments to the National Library have also been stolen.

I've wound down Pukpuk now that the Crocodile Prize is based in Mosbi but still refuse to ship books up there. The only way I use now is either taking them up there myself or getting friends to do it for me. That way they can be hand delivered to the right people.